At a glance......

Click on the thumbnail for details.



Sunday 19 October 2008

European made silver plated wires

Details on how I make use of these wires here.

Also known as European craft wires, these are European made silver plated wires. These wires have a copper core and the plating is made up of a small quantity of pure silver, to get the colour, and an alloy. The plating on these wires is a lot thicker than what you normally get from the Chinese wires. So, you can be assured of its quality.



Three sizes are available for sale. I am recommending these three sizes based on my experience on using them for the past one year. If you are interested, you may also want to read up on a post by renown wire jewelry artist, Eni Oken’s jewelry blog for her recommendations of the wire sizes to start with.

For your convenience, I have uploaded a wire gauge conversion chart here for your reference.




0.4 mm silver plated wires


For wire jewelry, this is the size used for coiling and decorative wire wrapping, that is when you attach beads while doing the coiling at the same time. Some artist uses 0.3mm to do the coiling job but 0.4mm is also feasible to do the job. Read more about it here. I also prefer to use this size to wrap Swarovski crystal teardrop bead because due to my ‘roughness’, sometimes I tend to break the crystal bead. 0.4mm has so far work beautifully for me. Initially, this size appears to me to be too fine for bead wrapping and gave me the impression that it might snap like what happened with the other copper wire that I’ve used before but it didn’t. The wires actually harden as you have done work on it, what is termed as work hardening.

0.6 mm silver plated wires

I use more of this size of wires actually, for making the eye pin and head pin connection. I also use this size to make the hook and eye clasp, although more of the eye ,really. Occasionally, I also make jump rings with this size of wire. I think I would probably reckon this size to be indispensable, given the type of wirework jewelry that I do







0.8 mm silver plated wires

This size of wire is sturdier. I use more of this size of wire to make jump rings actually. No special reason in particular. I just prefer the wire size to be thicker for jump rings. Only a matter of preference. Also a much sturdier size for making wire formed connectors or pendants.










Selling at RM12.50 RM10.00 per spool. The length of wires will differ for different wire sizes.
0.4mm – 10 meter per spool
0.6mm – 5 meter per spool
0.8mm – 3 meter per spool

Special package price at RM27.50. Package consists of:
1 X 0.4mm – 10 meter per spool
1 X 0.6mm – 5 meter per spool
1 X 0.8mm – 3 meter per spool


Discounts available for purchase of 5 spools and above. Please email me at atelierworkroom@gmail.com to inquire.

To make your order, please fill in the form below. Question and queries can be directed to atelierworkroom@gmail.com.

No comments: